Tuesday, September 1, 2009

"Does God like Mohawks?"


Ethan started football this year. The whole team, like every other team, is obsesessed with winning. They have these little 'pump up the jam' thingys or whatever things that they do when they near Superbowl time. One thing they do is mohawks. Some of the kids parents let their children shave both sides of their heads while leaving the middle to grow on like crabgrass.

Ethan is begging for a mohawk. I've told him that his school would not allow mohawks. Not completely understanding the Catholic religion that my husband grew up with and I've since agreed to raise my children that way stating during Catholic Tour 2009 that the only question I had to answer was 'Is my kid less likely to get shot in this school than in the public school?' The answer was simple. Less kids. Less likely to be shot. It's all in the numbers.

So he's in Catholic school which has given me the perfect excuse of why he can't have a mohawk (or a skateboard, or watch cartoon network). Okay that sounds bad. It sounds like I'm telling my son that God and Jesus hates these things. But that's simply not the case. I'm politely letting him know that the Pope doesn't watch Adult Swim and that skateboarding is a gateway drug.

This is the first time he's drawn that conclusion himself and asked in an increasingly curious 5 year old way 'Mom, does God hate mohawks?'

When he first asked in the car if this was the case... I could see my husbands upset look in my minds eye letting me to continue cautiously.

So I told him God doesn't hate mohawks...Daddy does.

No comments:

Post a Comment